Sunday, August 29, 2010

St James Aranui, Christchurch Writing Group

30th August 2010

I had my last session with the group of writers at St James School this morning and left with a good deal of regret that my time there is over. The warm and friendly 8 year olds I have been working with over the last few weeks have become my good friends. We concluded our time together with a shared lunch that featured several special Samoan dishes that had been cooked for us by parents.
It was a wild and rocky time on occasions writing and designing this book with everyone trying to do something at the same time. It was tricky to keep everyone busy, and difficult not to get too controlling, but we got there. The book is all pasted up with everything in place. It is a lively and colourful picture book of 16th pages and I hope now that Judy Parry, the teacher, is able to get it published in even a small way. I think the children will be very proud to see their work in print.
I will certainly be looking forward to the umu to launch the book in December.

Well done Judy Parry and your little team.

Gavin Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment