Thursday, August 5, 2010

Gavin Bishop Visit To St James School


On Monday Gavin Bishop began the first session of coaching a group of Room 3 children with their writing. The children were very excited about the visit as over the past two weeks the class had read many of Gavin's books. In pairs they created a diorama that related to a specific book that Gavin had written with a focus on their favourite page from the book. All the children in the group Gavin worked with had also written a creative piece of writing in their individual draft books about the St James edible garden.

The children are now working of gathering research to provide factual information about the edible garden which will be included in the final copy of the book they wish to publish.

It was a great session and the children found it very rewarding.

Judy Parry

Comments from students:

Lita (8 years)
I shared my writing with Mr Bishop who told me the words I used in my story were interesting.

Johnathan (9 years)
Mr Bishop told me to draw pictures that related to the words I had written so that I could communicate my ideas better.

Cecil (9 years)
I learnt about using a 'dummy book' which Mr Bishop uses to write his draft stories before they are published. It was great to meet a real author like Gavin Bishop and learn about how he writes.

No comments:

Post a Comment