Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 3 Ahipara-Apirana

Worked with schools, doing a number of exercises for specific reasons.

The students at Kataia College, Oturu Primary and Ahipara Primary have all produced work
I would be proud to say I wrote.

These are some of the things we looked at.

At Oturu we gathered and discussed information about Oturu. We talked about what Oturu means. It means a certain phase of the moon. When it is seen over a certain hill it signifies the fishing will be good for three days.

The students then wrote poems about this moon and going fishing at that time.

They have also written positive poems about Oturu.

Took them through exercises on how to write description and dialogue.
Some of these students live in difficult circumstances. They have talent and have produced some truly praisworthy work.

Read and told them some of my own stories.

At Kaitaia college I decided these students had ability. I therefore decided to push them into working really hard. I told the students I didn't think they could achieve what I expected of them for the morning. I challenged them to prove me wrong.

They set to with great gusto eager to prove me wrong and they certainly did, which was the purpose of the lesson.

I read one of my stories as a reward.

At all the schools we read and comment on the students work. Its all positive and good.

At Ahipara we have focused on locale legends, looked at the power of words and how to enjoy them. We 've looked at how to work out the lay out of a poem as opposed to writing it out in a paragraph like prose.

We've covered exerecises in how to awaken the sensense and so view the world around us, i.e.
with a fresh pristine vision and eye etc and write about it.

I am pleased with the sudents work.

Some of my focus is on stimulating the classes creativity and maintaining a warm positive happy working environment where the students work hard and enjoy it so that writing is always seen
in a positive light and not a chore.

The vast majority of the first drafts were pretty close to perfect. Some of it can be reworked in a second draft.

I am awarding myself a gold star for success.

We've done other things with all the schools but I'd be blogging for a month or writing a novel to explain it all and I don't like blogging.

cheers
Apirana

No comments:

Post a Comment